Wednesday, April 16, 2008

slight brain storms

Photobucket

So I have by no means thought these research topics through, but I'm just going to throw out some ideas. One I've been toying with since this thing started is something on graffiti, perhaps political graffiti. I haven't thought too much about this, I just happen to love graffiti.. I think it makes the world more interesting. I've also considered something to do with Amsterdam's perception of America.. I find it fascinating that the people of Amsterdam felt such a close affinity with America after 9/11 to the point that it had a great impact on Muslims in their country.

Something I've thought more about, however, is something I noticed that Haylee was also interested in (yay!): the way women are portrayed in various forms of media in Amsterdam. I've studied the portrayal of women in America somewhat, and I'm really interested in the over-sexualization, trivialization of women's power, and more subtle demeaning messages. A great documentary on this subject is Jean Kilbourne's "Killing Us Softly 3 (2000). Some of you may have seen this, if not you should check it out. I think the youtube version is split into four parts. I feel very strongly that the portrayal of women in the media should be studied extensively; advertisements are such a pervasive part of our society, and we are confronted with them constantly. These ads help to produce and reproduce gender roles and stereotypes.

I feel at this point I don't know enough about womens' status in Amsterdam to decide if this would be a good route to take. I would have to research such things as how women's pay stacks up to that of men's, women in government and other influential positions, and other not-so-quantifiable areas like expected norms and roles for women in marriage, family, etc.

If anyone else is interested in some of these things, holler at me :) rowe016@gmail.com

No comments: