Monday, May 19, 2008

if these clothes could talk..

Photobucket

This girl looks like she might smell...
For a general overview of the young woman standing before me, she is wearing a white t-shirt, black (maybe blue?) shorts, and sneakers. Her brown hair is pulled back into a short, stubby ponytail at the nape of her neck. It looks a little messy, perhaps a little sweaty. Her skin is slightly tan, and she doesn't appear to be wearing makeup. The t-shirt is more or less fitted, with the words "I'M THUMBODY" and a blue thumbprint with a smiling face on it - a cute play on words. Sticking out from her t-shirt at the shoulders and bottom is a white ribbed tank top. Her shorts appear a bit wrinkly, as well as a little too big for her. There is a sewn-on yellow military insignia on the right leg. On her feet, she wears a pair of white and green Nike running sneakers, that appear to be stained with dirt or mud. Sticking out from the tops of her sneakers are white ankle socks. From the sneakers, her slightly disheveled and sweaty appearance, and from the thick straps of a sports bra sticking out underneath the ribbed tank top, I can assume she just went to the gym, for a run, etc. not too long ago.

I stank.
I just got home from the gym, and I'm wearing my typical workout clothes. I'm pretty cold, because my clothes are damp with sweat, and because the past week or so has been unusually cool for May. My hair is pulled back into a tiny ponytail (it's in an awkward growing-out stage) and is badly in need of a wash. My shirt is pretty old; I think I bought it my sophomore or junior year of high school... I thought it was cute, and I've always liked to wear clothes that get a reaction out of people. Now, I rarely wear this shirt even to work out in, but it happened to be at the top of my dresser drawer since I just moved back to my parents' house so I wore it. I'm wearing a beater (I know it's a horrible name for a shirt) underneath the t-shirt, because it makes me feel more comfortable when wearing shorter shirts that might ride up when I'm exercising.
My shorts are a gift from my boyfriend, who just recently got out of the Marine Corps. Last summer, he was based in North Carolina, and he brought me these shorts when he came home for a visit once. I was thrilled because I can always use an extra pair of shorts to work out in, and also because I wanted to display my pride in my big bad marine. However, I was quite dismayed when I saw that the shorts were a size large. Does he really think my ass is that big? The nerve! I was quietly perturbed at my sweet boyfriend who was thoughtful enough to bring me home some shorts. Of course, I realize now this was extremely bratty and silly of me, and the shorts fit just fine if I roll them a couple of times. They're my favorite shorts to exercise in (I still like to show my pride for my marine). In fact, they are at the moment pretty wrinkly, because I wanted to wear them over any other pair so I dug them out of my dirty laundry. Gross, I know.
The sneakers I'm wearing are my favorite of a few pairs of running shoes I have. They're old (for a person who works out or runs almost every day), about two years. I bought them because they have my favorite color, green, on them. They're pretty dirty, and my mom and my boyfriend constantly make comments that I need to buy a new pair. I agree, but I love these sneaks, and I don't mind so much that they're so dirty... it shows their history. They're weathered. They've carried me through countless runs, bike rides, and hikes up mountains, through the woods and mud. I think they can carry me through a few more. Besides the sentimental value, another pair of these babies will cost me over $100, and that's just not happening any time soon.
These clothes now need to retire to the laundry basket, possibly to be picked out once more for another workout before finally seeing the inside of the washing machine. Gross, I know.

1 comment:

jenifer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.