Thursday, August 21, 2008

...

So I've had a defining moment in Amsterdam. Don't ask me to define this moment. I'll just tell what happened. After our (final?) squat dinner, we rode through Vondelpark to get back to Prinsengracht. It was around 10pm, and we came along a crowd surrounding a stage, with a woman singing a beautiful version of "Redemption Song." A man in the crowd told us this was a memorial to a Surinamese boy who was killed 25 years ago in Amsterdam. People were holding up signs in Dutch, which we could gather were anti-racism signs. The others left, and Isaac and I stuck around to hear a choir sing beautiful Dutch songs. I didn't know what they were saying, but I could tell how powerful it was. People around me were wiping their tears and embracing each other. It was really amazing. I can't believe how lucky we were to have stumbled upon this gathering..

No comments: